Visio Divina – “sacred seeing” – is an ancient form of Christian prayer in which we allow our hearts and imaginations to enter into a sacred image, in silence, to see what God might have to say to us. This practice is based on the practice of Lectio Divina – “divine reading” – which is a way of reading Scriptures. It is a traditional Benedictine practice that pairs reading scripture with meditation and prayer.
God often spoke to His people in dreams and visions and continues to do so because God is the same yesterday, today and forever. (Hebrew 13:8) God wants to be known by His people and will communicate with you in many different ways. (Proverbs 8:17, Jeremiah 31:33, Jeremiah 29:13).
Using the Practice of Visio Divina, we invite you to join us in devotion and prayer as we begin the necessary work that will allow the ground of Farmstead Eight to be a fruitful harvest for God’s Kingdom.
Note: A notebook or journal would be most useful for this 8 week devotion
I pray the eyes of my heart may be opened that I may know the hope that You have called me to. I pray that the meditations of my heart may be pleasing in your sight, Oh God my Rock and my Redeemer. Guide me into all truth and help me to hear all you have to teach me. Quiet my own thoughts that I may hear you more clearly. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.
- Read Matthew 11:28-30
- Close, your eyes and quiet your mind.
- Look at the image. What do you notice first? Gaze there for at least a minute.
- Expand your gaze and look in detail at the entire image. Rest with it.
- Ponder the following questions and record your responses.
- What do you notice in this image?
- What attracts you in this image?
- What repels you in this image?
- What emotions, memories, thoughts, or questions come up?
- What other scriptures come to mind?
- Where do you see yourself in this image?
- Where do you see God in this image?
- What is happening in my life that is reflected in this image?
- Is there anything missing in this image or unfinished?
What is your prayerful response to the image? You can pray for healing, forgiveness, offer thanksgiving…Write, draw, doodle…..